The Los Angeles City Council unanimously voted Councilman Curren Price as President Pro Tempore on Tuesday.
Price received 11 verbal votes from the attending council members with Councilman Bob Blumenfield starting off the voting by saying, “I rise to support great leader Curren Price, a friend and person I know is going to help heal this city.”
“I’m humbled by the unanimous vote by my Colleagues to entrust me in the role as President Pro Tem of the LA City Council,” Price said. “At a time of rising violence, great animosity and hateful rhetoric, we must come together as one to reclaim who we are as a City.”
Councilman Mitch O’Farrell previously held the position under Nury Martinez’s council presidency, but Price will now take the helm with President Paul Krekorian, who was voted into the position last week.
“Curren has spent his career building bridges between communities and advocating for those who need someone in their corner,” Garcetti said in a statement. “He’s been an indispensable partner in the fight for racial and economic justice — and his leadership can help lead our city out of a painful moment and into the healing, reflection, and action that can restore broken trust and unify Angelenos around the values of compassion, respect, and cooperation that will always define our people.”
The city council returned to Los Angeles City Hall, a week after holding its meetings remotely as a precaution to Councilman Mike Bonin testing positive for COVID-19.
The council was met with protesters, who chanted for Councilmembers Kevin de León and Gil Cedillo to resign, through the entirety of the nearly three hour meeting. Neither de León, nor Cedillo were present at the meeting and have not been since the first meeting after the leaked recordings were made public.
Over the weekend, California Governor Gavin Newsom called for the resignations of de León and Cedillo for the first time, not formally addressing the leaked recordings outside of a tweet that said, “The right move,” after Martinez resigned from the council.
“I wanted to give them space, but I think I was very clear with Nury, that she did the right thing. And I think the others should do the same,” Newsom said after his Gubernatorial debate with opponent Senator Brian Dahle Sunday. “I wanted to provide the opportunity for them to justify what they said, and the opportunity to be transparent about what they said. And so we’re hoping and looking forward to announcements soon.”
Neither de León, nor Cedillo have indicated they would resign for their roles in the leaked audio, with de León coming out and saying he wanted to “help heal” the city. Cedillo’s term will end in December with Eunisses Hernandez winning the election and taking over the district 1 seat.
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.